Class and Lesson Policies
- School Closures
- Tardy Arrival
- Missed Lessons or Cancellations
- Make-up Lessons
- Instructor Absences
- Schedule/Teacher Change
- Inclement Weather
- Parent Observation
- Waiting Room Policies
1. Holiday Policy
BackBeat City does not follow any particular school calendar. Please consult BackBeat’s calendar and website for closures and vacations. BackBeat’s closures are also reported on local television stations. BackBeat City is closed on the following dates:
- Labor Day (9/5/2011)
- Election Day (11/8/2011)
- Thanksgiving (11/24 – 11/25/2011)
- Winter Break (12/24/2011 – 1/2/2012)
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (1/16/2012)
- February Break (2/18 – 2/26/2012)
- Good Friday (4/6/2012)
- Spring Break (4/14 – 4/22/2012)
- Memorial Day (5/28/2012)
There will be NO HOLIDAYS on local school-teachers’ in-service days or on school district holidays. BackBeat City is still in session on these days. The studio will be open for lessons on all other national holidays except those specified above. Please bear in mind that there are no “make-ups” or rate reduction for students choosing to be absent on these days.
All students are expected to be respectful of all students, teachers and parents while at BackBeat City. We welcome kids to hang out in our space while they are waiting for their activity, but they must share it with others. Students will be asked to leave/be picked up if they are rude or under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
1. Tardy Arrival
Students who arrive late will not have their lesson time extended.
2. Missed Lessons or Cancellations
The payment of tuition reserves a lesson time on the teacher’s schedule. It is therefore the responsibility of each parent to ensure that the student attends or is available for each scheduled lesson.
Lead time of 24 hours advance notice is required for excused absences. One excused absence will qualify for a make-up. Absences with less than 24 hours’ notice and no-calls do not qualify for a makeup session. Fees for these lessons are forfeited.
3. Make-up Lessons
Please know that the policy for make-up lessons helps to maintain the professionalism of the studio and at the same time offers you a fair measure for those unexpected or emergency situations. We ask for your continued support in this area.
Make-up lessons (Student Responsibility)
- One make-up lesson is available for the first excused absence – lessons canceled with 24 hours’ notice or absences due to illness or family emergencies.
- Only lessons purchased in packages of 10 or more qualify for a make-up lesson. Only 1 make-up lesson is given per teaching cycle (package of 10 or semester).
- Make-up lessons must be completed prior to the end of the teaching cycle during which the class was missed.
- Make-up lessons will be scheduled based on the mutual convenience of both parties.
- Make-up lessons not completed within the cycle during which the lesson was missed will be forfeited.
- Make-up lessons cannot be transferred or deferred.
- No make-ups will be given for missed make-up lessons.
- BackBeat reserves the right to provide a different instructor if needed.
Make-up lessons (Teacher Responsibility)
- If it is not possible to reschedule a lesson canceled by the teacher and we are unable to schedule a lesson with a substitute, your account will be credited a refund for the current session.
4. Instructor Absences
Due to unexpected circumstance, an instructor may be absent. BackBeat City reserves the right to provide a qualified substitute. Under special circumstances, a current instructor could be replaced with a new qualified instructor.
5. Schedule / Teacher Change
Students can request a teacher or lesson change at any point in the semester. The office requires a week’s notice to make either change. Please note: Changing lessons may necessitate changing teachers. Until the new lesson time/teacher is established, the student is required to attend
Termination of this agreement by the teacher may result because of one or all of the following:
- a major lack of parental support;
- consistently very late payment of tuition;
- too many missed lessons;
- consistently poor preparation of lesson assignments;
- lack of motivation and readiness for performance; and
- a student acting defiant or hostile.
Should any of the above occur, a written notice or warning will be given to the parent(s) pertaining to the impending forfeiture of lesson slot. Termination goes into effect if student shows no improvement within the teaching cycle in which the notice was given.
- Because of BackBeat’s semester billing system, we ask that notice of intent to withdraw from classes be given at a minimum of 10 weeks prior to end of the semester. This is required of parents and/or student.
- Adequate notice gives the teacher the chance to complete lesson sessions on a positive note and time to fill the impending vacant slot.
- Students who withdraw before the end of the school year will forfeit any make-up lesson they are owed.
7. Inclement Weather
BackBeat City does not follow the cancellation or vacation policy for any given school. Please consult the website or call the office to confirm closures. Students will be invited for make-up lessons that must take place before the end of the lesson cycle.
8. Parent Observation
Our observation windows make it easy to observe private lessons.
9. Waiting Room Policies
It is expected that everyone wait quietly and do not disturb ongoing lessons. There will be a student lounge for students who participate in large rehearsals. These students are asked to socialize there and not bother families using the waiting room.
10. Class Cancellation
BackBeat City reserves the right to cancel a class due to insufficient enrollment. If a class is cancelled, full tuition minus registration fees will be refunded to the student.
11. Discrimination Policy
BackBeat City does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, nationality, sex, ethnic origin, or religious beliefs in its admissions, scholarships and other educational policies.